Monday, October 5, 2009

A Little Nine Patch




The quilt is a big ol' thing--the ninepatches are small, finishing at 2.25 inches. It's a version of a 1930s quilt owned by Kaye England which she shared in APQ a few years ago. She says she thinks hers was made by a child, judging by the less-than-perfect stitching and it's handquilted. Imagine handquilting through all those seams. It called out to me, too, and I thought it would be the perfect use for my smaller scraps. I love all my fabrics and can't bear to throw away even the tiniest bit. The 1400 ninepatches add up to 12,600 three-quarter-inch squares. It's very heavy due to the number of seams and required a surprising amount of thread. I'm happy and feeling satisfied that I finished this quilt but can't imagine doing anything like it again!

3 comments:

  1. I know these little nine patches are a lot of work..but the finished quilt is wonderful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so beautiful! I love the colours and the way you have set them in diagonals. Very nice work! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. All those little squares must have been a huge mount of work to put together. It was worth it though.
    Lovely.

    ReplyDelete