Tuesday, November 17, 2009

It's NOT 27 years old! Is it??


One of my earliest efforts, from 1982, I made this one for my little son.  He chose the fabrics and pattern.  Such a sweet boy, he is still.  It's all poly/cotton blend fabrics and poly batting--just what was available at the time.  See how it droops?  It is quilted only around the bird and once around the border.  There is no binding.  The front is wrapped to the back and whipped.  I really didn't know what I was doing.  The applique is fairly decent - that I knew how to do.  The parrot has features but they are so off-scale, you have to stand close with a magnifying glass to see them.  I pulled it out to give to him as quilt-storage space is at a premium here now, every square inch.  I'm sure he will be thrilled.  ;0) 

Now I'm wondering if I should try a modern version (I still have the McCall's pattern), just to show myself how far along I've come.  I know I could make it better but doubt if it would be better loved.

3 comments:

  1. Hey..that quilt is pretty nice for a "first". We just didn't have the best materials to choose from back then...and experience teaches us that the quilting is what holds everything together so we do a bit more. ;)
    It's fun to see how far we've come over the years.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, yes. Remember coping with borders? All that measuring, tracing and cutting with scissors? I so admire our foremothers. I've had to make do but never by lamplight!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought I recognised it when you hung it on the fence this morning....

    ReplyDelete