Tuesday, November 17, 2009

A QUILT FOR ANNABELLE


For Annabelle's big-girl bed,  it's a very simple combination of four patches and half-square triangles. It seems the simpler designs appeal to me most, especially when I'm using my favorite fabrics and colors.  I used nearly the last scrap of my 30s repros and am hoping to be able to sew a couple of pillow cases to match.  Failing that, a little toss pillow?  I've only ever seen this design in two colors - cheddar and cream - and had no idea how a scrappy version would turn out.  I was surprised and extremely pleased when I saw it "whole" and hanging on the fence.  Annabelle's mom saw this quilt when it was just a top and liked it.  I hope Annabelle will, too, as it's meant to grow up with her.  I'm planning to visit with them for Thanksgiving week so will give it in person.  Always satisfying!

I don't know a traditional name for this design and am hoping one of you quilt historians will!

3 comments:

  1. I just love this scrappy quilt! According to two of my books your pattern is named "Northern Lights". Annabelle sure is lucky to receive this treasure. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, Ann. All I could see in the design was hardware-anvils and sharp grippy-looking teeth! "Northern Lights" is so much nicer. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lucky Annabelle! Such a lovely quilt.

    ReplyDelete